Six Powerful Divisions Dedicated to the Health and Wellbeing of the Bay
Taking an innovative approach to achieving its mission to protect, restore, and inspire conservation of San Francisco Bay and its watershed, from the Sierra to the sea, bay.org encompasses six diverse divisions offering a unique combination of science, research, advocacy, animal encounters, education, and conservation experiences. Under bay.org, these organizations combine into a single powerful force to support the health and wellbeing of the Bay and its watershed for future generations.
- Aquarium of the Bay- Located on San Francisco’s iconic waterfront, Aquarium of the Bay provides approximately 600,000 guests a year with unforgettable encounters with over 20,000 local marine animals that inspire both wonder and conservation.
- The Bay Institute- The Bay Institute’s scientists and conservationists develop and lead model scientific research, education, and advocacy programs that have a major impact on the health of the San Francisco Bay watershed.
- Sea Lion Center- Naturalists at the Sea Lion Center lead free interpretive presentations about one of San Francisco’s most popular wildlife viewing experiences: the California sea lions that grace PIER 39’s K-Dock.
- EcoCenter at Heron’s Head Park- This landmark, off the grid, environmental education center is a living classroom dedicated to environmental justice, green buildings, and making better use of the Earth’s resources to foster healthy people, ecosystems, and economies.
- Bay Model Alliance- This eight-acre waterfront education center brings the Bay to life with a working hydraulic model of the San Francisco Bay and Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta system, educational programs, exhibits, lectures, films, and seminars.
- GoPlaces- An initiative that aims to get students out of the classroom to explore nature and learn about science, by leveraging technology to connect teachers with transportation providers, for free or discounted rates.
Each of these divisions independently serves our mission. Working together as bay.org, they provide an unbeatable combination of science, education, and guest experiences that are changing the way we understand and care for San Francisco Bay and its watershed.